has a history dating back to well before the Domesday Survey
Before the Norman
conquest in 1066 Stapleford comprised of four 'manors'
held by Young Wulfsi, Staplewin, Goodwin and Gladwin. Sometime
during the next twenty years, this land together with many
others in the region was given to William Peverel (the Lord
of Stapleford), and the Domesday survey records that in
1086 these manors were held by Robert de Heriz under the
authority of William Peverel. At this time, the survey also
reveals that there were six villagers, two slaves, a priest
and a church.
In the following years, the
ownership of the 'estate' of Stapleford passed through a
number families until around 1901 when the estate was split
into building plots and sold. Up until this time, Stapleford
was mainly a farming community.
At the end of the
18th century the East Midlands became the centre
of the hosiery industry and the stocking manufacturers were
served by a number of 'knitters' in Stapleford. They worked
from home in knitters cottages and some still survive today
and can be seen on Nottingham Road near the Sandicliffe
Garages; characterised by their large windows on the top
floor for maximum light entry into the knitting rooms.
By the end of the
19th century a number of lace manufacturers built
factories in Stapleford. In the 20th century these were
taken over by other industries such as Carr Fastener,
Chambers Pencils and Johnson & Barnes.
During the late 19th
and 20th century, many of the major architectural
and historic buildings in Stapleford were demolished: for
example, Stapleford Hall,
The Manor House, Chambers Pencil Factory
(originally Featherfields Lace Factory), the Methodist
Chapel on Church Street, and the Co-op Department
Store; a fate that many English cities and towns suffered
at the hands of planners and developers.
The late 20th century
saw much de-industrialisation. In late 1980's and
early '90s Stapleford suffered like many British cities
and towns due to the general poor economic climite within
Britain together with both governmental and local policies
that did little to help or encourage local shops, industry
and small businesses. Along the high street there were many
empty shops and offices and others were struggling to survive
and all the major factories had closed.
years however, Stapleford has shown a definite
turn-around and there are over 200 businesses listed in
the Business Index on
this web-site, and we are still adding more. If there are
two main 'industries' in Stapleford today they are 'wheels
and food', with the largest employer being Sandicliffe
Garages. The local Town Council has gone out of its
way to encourage and work with local shops and businesses.
The Broxtowe Borough Council has put money into improving
paving, shop fronts and some factory premises. There are
now fewer empty shops and offices and the town no longer
looks run down.
The local secondary
Spencer School and Technology College has gained a reputation
for achievement and has been designated "Leading Edge
status'. Estate agents now cite it as a selling point for
houses within its catchment area.
In 2006 the
construction of a new £11m Health Centre,
right in the centre of the town, was completed and there
are plans to extend the Nottingham tram network to serve
the Stapleford area. In 2009, a new rail station - East
Midlands Parkway - was completed just down the M1, to serve
East Midlands Airport and surrounding areas. All these developments
should give a major boost to business, employment and community
facilities in the town.
and Kimberley By
Cornelius Brown, A History of Nottinghamshire
Mr G. Fellows, Transactions of the Thoroton Society,
Helen's - The Teverey Family By
George Fellows, ' Arms, Armour and Alabaster
Round Nottingham'. (1907)
Hall, The Wrights
Jacks, The Great houses of Nottinghamshire and the
County Families. (1881)
Bramcote Hall, The Smiths
Jacks, The Great houses of Nottinghamshire and
the County Families(1881).
Hemlock Stone By
Mr Emsley Coke/Mr Samuel Page,The Hemlock Stone,
Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 10 (1906)
Rev. A. D. Hill, Transactions of the Thoroton Society,