The Hemlock Stone
stands near the summit of Stapleford Hill adjacent to
Hills and the park (Location
The stone and the hills are made
up of red sandstone which was deposited in the early
Triassic period over 200 million years ago.
upper part of the Hemlock Stone is heavily impregnated
with barium sulphate or barytes, a mineral that is
resistant to weathering, which forms a protective
cap above the pillar of softer rock below.
many millennia, erosion of the softer sandstone surrounding
the pillar by water, ice and wind has shaped the strange
form of the Hemlock Stone that we see today.
theories exist as to how the Stone got its
name but it is thought by many to have been the site
of activity by the Druids, the priesthood of the Celts.
Myths and legends concerning the Stone abound, many
of which formed part of a specially commissioned play
performed in the walled garden area in 2001. A huge
bonfire was lit on top of the Stone, one of the official
beacons the length and breadth of the country, to
celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II
A recent project of Broxtowe Borough Council and the
local community has seen the installation of new interpretation
panels, way markers to highlight the many wooded walks
in the area, new carved stone seats and the publication
of a special leaflet, as well as the inauguration
of the Hemlock
Happening, an outdoor festival to showcase the
talents of local schools, groups and individuals.
Also see The
Hemlock Stone >>
By Mr Emsley Coke/Mr Samuel Page, The Hemlock
Stone, Transactions of theThoroton Society, 10
Also see Stapleford
Cross >> By Rev.
A. D. Hill, Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 10 (1906)
The Saxon Cross
standing in St Helen's churchyard is thought to date back
to around 700AD and is believed to be the oldest Christian
memorial in Nottinghamshire. It is over three metres tall
and features many interlacing carvings including a symbol
of St Luke treading on a serpent.
Travelling preachers would have called
the local people to worship near it before the church was
built. It may even have been responsible for the name 'Stapleford'
meaning a post near a ford or river crossing.
A new stone ball was placed on top of
the cross in the year 2000 to replace the original which
was damaged during a storm in 1916.
Helen’s Parish Church
St Helen’s Parish Church
was built in the early English style of architecture and
was consecrated around 1220. Additions and alterations were
made in later centuries and the memorial chapel and fine
wrought iron gates were added in the 1920s. The church contains
tombs of the The
Teverey Family from the 17th century.
Also see: The
Teverey Family >> By
George Fellows, ' Arms, Armour and Alabaster
Round Nottingham' (1907)
Stapleford Church >>
By Mr G. Fellows, Transactions
of the Thoroton Society, 10 (1906)
Parker VC Memorial Square
the 1st August 2000, the new town square was officially
opened and dedicated to the memory of Lance Corporal Walter
Parker VC who was born on the 20th September 1881 in
He was educated in London, moved to Stapleford
and began work at Stanton Ironworks as a coremaker. He enlisted
in1914 and whilst serving with the Royal Marines Light Infantry
was awarded the Victoria Cross in recognition of his bravery
at Gaba Tepe, Gallipoli on 1st May, 1915.
In charge of a party of Royal Marine
stretcher bearers, he went through heavy enemy machinegun
fire to carry water, medical supplies and ammunition to
an isolated forward position. Despite being seriously wounded
he continued to help evacuate wounded troops.
He was invalided out of the Marines in
1916 and returned to Stapleford. He died in 1936 as a result
of his wounds and is buried in Stapleford cemetery.
Read more about
Walter Parker VC >>
The Wesley Place Chapel
The Wesley Place Chapel was built
near the spot where John Wesley preached in 1774 and is
now the home of Stapleford Volunteer Bureau. It has a fine
interior hall with balcony.
Lacemakers' Cottages, Nottingham Road
During the 19th century, when Nottingham
was the centre of the lace trade, many people worked from
home. To maximise the daylight their machines were kept
in workrooms with very large windows on the top floor of
their cottages. The buildings were originally constructed
for framework knitters and their stocking machines in the
St John's Church of England School
St John's Church of England School was
built in 1837 at a cost of £3200 and endowed by Lady
Caroline Warren in memory of her late husband, Admiral Sir
John Borlase Warren of Stapleford hall. Now run as a primary
school by the Nottinghamshire Education authority; it is
the oldest school building still in use as a school in the
Stapleford Town Trail
A guide to the historic features
and places of interest in Stapleford, produced by the Stapleford
and District Local History Society, is available from
Information on places of interest
supplied by Stapleford
& District Local History Society